On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Warlord Games British Line Infantry Peninsular War 28mm British Napoleonic War
- Brach Model 1 35 Italian Semovente M40 75 18 (Full Resin kit with Interior)
- GREAT COLLECTABLE...DIDDL. mouse good condition
- Portable 6-Axis Carbon Fiber FPV Aircraft Frame Kit For MRRC 680 6-Axis Drone GL
- Monopoly - Dinosaurs Monopoly Junior Board Game - 024365
- Dinky Toys Hillman Minx 154 40f
- Spark S1898 Porsche 917 LH Gulf Salon 1969 - 1 43 Scale
- Lone Ranger Gabriel Marx El Lobo figure naked 70's
- Kidrobot x Frank Kozik DC Universe Joker Labbit Medium Vinyl Figure NEW SEALED
- Kids Workbench Toy Tool Kits - Super Toolbench Workshop Playset with Realistic &
- WWE CLASSIC SUPER STARS THE BERZERKER ACTION FIGURE(029)
- Dragon Action Figure MOONDOG F117 Nighthawk Pilot RARE HTF NEW MINT
- 10mm Roman era roman - heavy 18 figs - inf (22421)
- Takom 02104 Panther Ausf.D German Tank w Zimmerit 1 35 Scale Kit
- TINTIN MOULINSART HERGE PIXI 46004 Musée Imaginaire Statuette Leopard Man
- Metal Lower Front Bumper for 1 14 Scale LESU MAN TGX Dumper RC Cars Model Part
- WHAT' Zit Wooden Puzzle Game. The Original Toy Company. Shipping is Free
- Ferrari 333Sp Apex Imsa Road Atlanta 1994 Evans Bentley BBR 1 18 BBRC1819C Mo
- ITALERI IT6113 BASTOGNE DECEMBER 1944 DIORAMA SET KIT 1 72 MODEL MODEL
- Ebbro SB 1 43 - Prince Skyline GTB 1964
- New Boxed Sealed LEGO HARRY POTTER THE FORBIDDEN FOREST (4865) HAGRID, VOLDEMORT
- Transformers Fall Of Cybertron Blaster 2012 100% complete MISB
- Vintage 1964 GI Joe Hasbro TM Red Torso USAF Action Scramble Pilot Complete Set
- GUNDAM 00 GUNDAM SEVEN SWORD G 1 60 FIG
- 25mm medieval saracen - spearmen (plastic) 12 figures - inf (32711)
- Dragon 1 700 USS New York LPD-21
- SCALEXTRIC C3298 Star Wars Speeder Bike - Luke Skywalker
- Flysky FS-i6X 2.4GHz 6 Channel LCD Radio Controller Transmitter and Receiver
- Hasbro - Monopoly - the classic board game -Brand New Property Trading Game 2007
- Batmobile 1966 1 43 Mattel Limited Edition Batman Adam West Burt Ward Sealed
- Warhammer Age of Sigmar 40,000 Daemons Of Chaos Bloodletters of Khorne 22
- Mach 2 1 72 Armstrong Whitworth Argosy IPEC Australia GP088
- Herpa 308496 Scania R TL 6x2 Plan Curtain - Trailer Nottelmann 1 87 H0 New
- Lego 7985, 8061, 8057, 8056, 8059, 5 Atlantis sets complete with instructions
- Fans Toys Tesla FT-09 mint never transformed Transformers G1 Perceptor with box
- 1 6 zcwo football figure messi same size hot toys
- DC UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE 9 STRIPE BUILD A FIGURE
- HMS Sentinal Good Condition No Reserve
- 28cm 11' Character Light Up Puffer Balls - Assorted Colours. - Smiffys 28cm
- 1 18 Ferrari 250 TRI 61 V12 Sport Winner Le Mans 1961 not BBR
- AUTO WORLD 1 18 MUSCLE CARS 2016 CHEVROLET CAMARO SS - 50TH ANNIVERSARY AW239
- OXFORD DIECAST VANS X 12 BOXED
- LEGO City 3181 Passenger Plane - Retired Set - NEW & SEALED
- Transformers Planet X PX-01B Gammadim aka Guardian MIB
- GI JOE FSS SURE FIRE 1.0 Con Collectors Club Exclusive Figure 2013 Cobra
- 1 of 4
- next ›