On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
|Condition:||Used : |
An item that has been previously used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab
|Seller notes:||“Packaging is sub-standard which may include scuffing, creasing and small dents on the card. Items inside are in perfect condition and packaging has never been opened”|
|Brand:||Marvel||MPN:||does not apply|
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Games Collection Bundle Fantasy Flight Games FFG
- Trumpeter 1 16 T-34 85 Model 1944 Factory No. 174
- Steiff 6412,00 Jungreh Deer Fawn Fawn Bambi
- Tuning Chassis Hard V-One R Kyosho VZW-01
- Unspeakable Words Deluxe Edition New
- Transformers Legends LG32 chrome dome Japan
- DUNGEONS & dragons - Mind flayer trophy PLAQUE Wizkids
- Mezco One 12 Collective Thor Ragnarok Hulk Marvel New
- Corgi OOC OM46611B OM46611 NBFL New Routemaster Boris London United 10KingsCross
- Auto World AW CHASE 1969 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS AM MINT IN BOX VINTAGE MUSCLE
- LEGO - Bionicles Vahki Nuurahki 8614 - BNIB - RARE
- LOT OF (150) PredECTIVE CLAM DISPLAY CASES FITS MOC WWF HASBRO & RETRO FIGURES
- G I GI JOE 25TH ANNIVERSARY COMMANDO SNAKE EYES W TIMBER WOLF FIGURE MOC
- Eaglemoss Marvel Chess Special Limited Edition Fantastic 4 SUPER SKRULL
- Wood elfs 6 heroes special characters metal d&d warhammer fantasy sigmar (8637)
- Aoshima RV-11 01600 - 1 24 Toyota RAV4 L 4WD - Sealed Contents
- Scalextric FLY BMW M1 BASF PROCAR 1980
- 4X Racerstar 2307 BR2307S Fire Edition 2200KV 2-5S Brushless Motor For X220 250
- WOW EXTREMELY RARE Chaparral 2A Jim Hall Champion USRRC 1965 1 18 Auto Art
- 1 43 TOYOTA 86 TRD PERFORMANCE COUPE IN GALAXY blueE SILICA J COLLECTION DIECAST
- RARE RENAULT MAXI MEGANE 1 43 GAM RESTAURATION 069D VITESSE
- LEGO - Star Wars - Jedi Starfighter Hyperdrive Booster Ring - 7661 - GENUINE
- Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Transformers Movie RD-12 Decepticon Mixmaste
- 28mm Library Hero's Hoard lot c
- Tamiya 1 35 French Armored Carrier UE
- Scalextric Super Slot McLeod Ford Ford XY Falcon PCR DPR 1 32 slot Car C3696
- DD9A Syma X8W Explorers FPV RC Quadcopter 6-axis Gyro HD +2.0MP Camera RTF White
- Hasbro GI Joe Lighted Vietnam Wall Memorial 2000 Brand New Free Shipping
- IRON MAN - Iron Patriot Heroes Edition Nendgoldid Action Figure GSC
- Minichamps BMW 325i Oestreich Rensing Winner 24h Nurburgring 1986 Model Car 1 18
- Lancia Beta Monte Carlo N.51 Dnf Lm 1980 Darniche-Heyer-Fabi 1 43 Spark S1389 Mo
- REVELL 1 24 Volkswagen T1 SAMBA BUS 07399
- Lego Creator Roller Coaster (10261)
- Transformers SDCC 2015 Exclusive Titan Class Devastator Constructicons Giftset
- COOMODEL SE042 1 6 SERIES OF EMPIRES CAMPFIRE IN BATTLE FIELD ACCESSORIES SET
- Retro 12” Deadpool Action Figure
- 1 of 4
- next ›